What if I am getting a PET/CT scan?
THE DAY BEFORE YOUR PET/CT EXAM
1. Follow a Low Carbohydrate Diet for 12 hours before your exam.
- No sweets, soda, desserts
- Limited breads, pastas, potatoes, dairy
- Foods allowed include: Unbreaded meats: fish, poultry, beef, pork; Vegetables; Eggs
2. Do Not Exercise for 24 hours prior to your exam.
ON THE DAY OF YOUR PET/CT EXAM
(Allow about 2 hours for your PET/CT Appointment)
- Plan to arrive 30 minutes PRIOR to your scheduled time to allow for registration and exam prep.
- Do NOT eat 5 hours prior to your scheduled time.
- Drink as much WATER as you like.
- Take your prescription medications with WATER ONLY.
- Do NOT eat cough drops, gum or mints (these contain sugar).
- Wear comfortable clothing (i.e., sweats) with minimal metal (do not wear jeans, jewelry, belts, metal buttons or zippers).
For Diabetic Patients
Please tell the Imaging Department if you are diabetic.
- 4 hours prior to scheduled appointment time, you may take short acting insulin (Humalog), injected insulin with a small meal.
- You should NOT take the long acting NPH type insulin on the day of the exam until after it has been completed.
The day of the exam you may NOT take:
Please call the Imaging Department with any questions.
- Decatur (217) 876-6600 ext.: 7
- Effingham (217) 342-2066
- O’Fallon (618) 416-7970